Updating your SAP components to the latest version is really recommended to maintain stability and fix some error in the previous release.
Sometimes you have to update SAP Java components manually, as you can not update using Software Update Manager (SUM).
You can do it using Software Deployment Manager (SDM). The tool is called from operating system.
Here are the steps.
1. Go to your initial screen of Java application server usually in the form of http://host.domain:5<SN>00
host = your hostname
SN = System Number
2. Click “all components” to see details.
3. Take a note to the components you want to update manually. Download the updated version from SAP software download.
4. Now you open a command prompt from operating system. And go to folder <drive:>\usr\sap\<SID>\<
Note: in UNIX environment the directory is /usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/SDM/program
Run > startSDM.bat (in UNIX = startSDM.sh)
5. SDM screen appears. Now choose tab “Deployment” and you add the components to deploy.
You can select individual component or select several files to add in list.
6. Click “Next” button to next process.
7. It will preview the repository. Just click “Next”
8. Now click “Start Deployment” to start updating. And click OK for the warning that comes.
9. Monitor the deployment log.
10. Check the update process is finished successfully. And now you can Confirm to finish the update.
11. Refresh the screen on step 3. Now you check that the components version have been updated.