You can upgrade your SAP Kernel using tool SAP Software Update Manager (SUM). Its guided procedure really helpful, you don’t need to do manual extraction. You just need to put the Kernel archive in specific folder, and let SUM does the process. To get SUM and see the supported product please refer to SAP Note 1680769 – Central Note – Software Update Manager 1.0 SP05.
If you want to update SAP kernel manually you can read How to update sap kernel on UNIX Solaris.
Below is the step by step to do kernel update using SUM.
1. Extract SUM in specified folder,
2. and as <sid>adm run ./STARTUP and make sure the process is running.
|SUM process is running|
3. From other terminal open a web browser and call http://:4239
Click yes for the pop up screen
|SUM initial screen|
4. On first initial screen you’ll be prompted with a user and password.
Fill with a new user / password
|Initial user for SAP Software Update Manager (SUM)|
5. The next step will show you summary of detected system.
|Summary of System|
6. You’ll then be prompted with your adm user & password.
|User / password for SUM|
7. You then choose the folder of your new Kernel (for both SAPEXE & SAPEXEDB)
|Location of New Kernel|
8. Now enter the keyword for SUM as stated in SAP note 1680769.
|Keyword for SUM|
9. You’ll go to next screen showing the initialization screen
|Initialization screen SUM|
10. You’ll be prompted with Administrator password of your system
11. The process will continue and detect the component you want to upgrade. And you can see detail about what to be upgraded.
12. Click Continue on summary screen, now you’re ready to go to next step.
|Summary – 1|
|Summary – 2|
|Summary – 3|
13. Before the downtime phase, make sure you do backup your system. And continue to next step.
|Backup confirmation – SUM|
|Finish Preprocessing – SUM|
14. Now your system is shutdown to do updating.
|Stop System to update kernel by SAP SUM|
15. Watch the process and make sure finished successfully.
|Update process by SUM|
|Finish update kernel by SUM|
16. Now the post-processing activities
|Post processing by SUM|
|Finish post-processing SUM|
17. Now you have finished all the process and SUM will show you the summary activity.
|Summary activity SUM|
You can also read more about SAP Kernel update in the book below: [amazon-elements asin="1592293832" fields="lg-image"]